Thursday, November 13, 2008

Who Gives a Shit

I don't pretend to know much about food or wine, but I know what I like and what I don't. It's a bit like art, I can appreciate the work that went into it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. Some people think they haven't eaten properly if they didn't go to a Michelin star restaurant, others think McDonald's is just great. What difference does it make? I eat because I need to, just like everyone else, but when I do I like to do it in comfort and I don't mean in luxury. Again, as much as I admire the detail that goes into the experience of going to an expensive restaurant I can be happy with a lot less. But here's my point: If the service is bad, I am ready to kill. Ooh how much I hate indifferent or rude waiting staff. If the food is bad but the service is OK, you can always send back the food without causing a scene, these things happen and I believe you are doing the chef a favour by telling him that there is something wrong with the food so he can take care of it or take it off the menu. When the wine is corked you do the same, so why not with food.
Anyway, I live in Madrid, in the middle of Spain, The Land of Plenty. Everything you could possibly want grows here. If you get invited to have dinner at someones home the food is usually excellent; people who can't cook usually don't invite people to their kitchen. Spaniards take pride in their food, you can find the most beautiful fresh food markets here. The most beautiful market I have ever visited is in Valencia, it is like a museum. This is why I am starting this blog, because whenever I go out for a meal I go home disappointed. I don't know whether my expectations are too high or maybe I am just being fucked because I don't look Spanish and therefore have no idea about food, as long as I pay. How can restaurants, not all by the way, justify bad food in this cornucopia. I want to record my experiences in different places in Madrid where I have gone for a meal so I can later say to someone who has had the same bad or good experience: I told you so.

No comments: