Thursday, November 13, 2008

Can I Cook?

Let's see if I can keep this up, I usually start something like this and then forget about it after a few days. This is probably why I have submitted several posts already.


My profile picture may suggest I can cook, which is only partialy true, but since I have only just started this thing I couldn't find a more relevant picture. I wish I could cook like some people I know, but I have been spoiled by my mother who, of course is the best cook in the world. Over the years I have picked up a few recipes here and there, but I don't think I have ever prepared one the same way twice. Recently I have found a great source for new easy recipes on the New York Times website's video page. Mark Bittman shows you quickly, 4 or 5 minutes, how to prepare something using simple ingredients. Type in "minimalist" in the search engine of the video page and you'll see what I am talking about. Or even better just follow the link.


http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/b/mark_bittman/index.html?scp=1-spot&sq=minimalist&st=cse

Isn't the internet incredible?
He has made me realize there's no need to be afraid of food, it's just that I hate it when I fuck something up and can't eat it. I have had jobs in kitchens and have always felt a great affinity with food, but when it came to actually cooking something instead of heating it up I backed off. I am the King of the sandwich though. Nothing in my fridge, if it is stocked, escapes my sandwich. A ham sandwich is boring, it has to be at the very least a ham and cheese and mustard sandwich, that's when there is no lettuce or tomato or anything else in the fridge.

No comments: